Saturday, September 10, 2005

Pursuing My Life's Vocation

This has been a question plaguing me for the past two years - do I pursue my life's passion or do I play it safe and stay with a company who will definitely grant me financial stability?

Today, I decided...

I live life on the principle that I will do everything in my power to find my passions in life - whether it be in love, career or even friends. The past few days I decided to pursue passion in love but that's a separate blog entry altogether... now I decided to do the same in my career.

Life is too short to live in a safety net. Life is about giving all you've got to seek what makes you happy, to fight for your passion, to experience that insane high from things that will make you deeply satisfied. Even doing so poses risks, even if there are uncertainties - there is no other way but to try and live life the best damn way you can.

And so after four years of working in a stable company, after finally reaching a good enough salary and after all the hardships I went through to get promoted --- I am finally moving on. This year I will start pursuing graduate studies. I still don't know these things -- what I will study (is it Anthropology, Spiritual Psychology or Environmental Science?), where I will study (should I go to the U.S. or Europe) and how the hell am I going to pay for it? I think these are just the minor problems -- my bigger dilemma is: related work experience is the primary consideration in acceptance at graduate schools. I studied Psychology in college, worked 4 years in the Information Technology industry and now I want to pursue graduate studies in Anthropology. I am sure that the admissions committee will raise an eyebrow and say, "What do you really want in life? Are you sure that you are committed in finishing this course?" All I know right now - is that I have a passion for understanding human behavior and how society impacts this behavior. I want to be able to satisfy my intellectual thirsts, my questions about life… about existence… Aside from intellectual pursuits, I want to feel that I am contributing something to society.... that what I do is not just some scheme to generate money... I want my vocation to touch other people's lives, make a lasting impact. I WANT to do my job with conviction and passion and live every damn day sure that this is what I was set out to do.

And so I embark in this journey... there is no looking back. I still have a lot of things to do... researching schools, taking required tests, accomplishing application forms, etc. But hey -- I am determined to do everything I can to realize my dreams. I do not want to live with what if’s... I am finally coming out of my safety net and pursuing my life's vocation =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home