Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Graduation Message... nice read... of life's vocation

Very few graduating seniors know what they want, professionally and
personally. The sooner you admit to yourself the range of
possibilities, the sooner you will be more confident that somewhere
out there is a place where you really belong. There are some aspects
of your life you cannot change, such as at this point in time you are
still financially dependent on your parents, or that you have to find
a job quickly enough to supplement your family's income.
Nevertheless, there will always be pros and cons to every job you
want to take, always consequences of the answers you provide yourself
when you ask that most basic of questions: what do you want to do
with yourself? Naturally, I'm not going to give you an answer; I'm
very Socratic in that sense. You have to figure it out yourself;
vicarious experience is nothing compared to the real thing.
I'm too old to condemn people whose lives are driven primarily by
professional or financial ambition. I'd be a hypocrite to deny that
some money is important, or that it's wrong to want to push a career.
However, I'd also be doing you a great disfavor if I didn't point out
that there is so much more to life than a six- or seven-figure
paycheck, or a fancy title before or after your name. And these
things, such as quality time with your family, or peace of mind from
a clean conscience, are priceless. You can trust me on that score.
And trust me, too, that what you shouldn't be looking for is a job;
what you really want is to find your vocation.
Much as I am tempted to try, I cannot tell you how you should direct
your life. The life you have is yours, and I wish that other people,
well-meaning or otherwise, would remember that, too. But your life,
which carries so much potential, cannot be called a life unless it
has given life to others. We cannot be human without seeking a goal
greater than ourselves, for that is how we realize our humanity even
more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home